Readers like you help support MUO. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission. Continue reading.
Windows supports up to 128 million pixels desktop resolution. So, in theory, you can use multiple high-resolution displays and still have no problems. However, many users report blurry screen issues on Windows 11. The problem ruins their overall visual experience as the screen elements appear distorted.
If you have the same problem, don’t worry. We will list all possible methods to remove screen blur and make on-screen elements sharp and easy to read.
How to fix blurry screen issues on Windows 11
Here are the following methods that you can try to get rid of the blurry screen issue on your Windows 11 system.
1. Reboot your system
Before attempting any major troubleshooting method, reboot your system. Restarting your computer can fix common problems with services and background programs. Press Alt + F4 and select that Start anew option from the list. After the computer restarts, launch any program and see if the blurring issue still persists.
2. Optimize display resolution and scaling
Lower screen resolution settings may cause the screen element to appear grainy. However, low scaling settings on a high-resolution display can make matters worse. So you need to adjust these two display settings.
To adjust the display resolution and scaling on Windows 11, do the following:
- Press victory + R to open the Run command box. kind ms settings:display and press the Enter Key.
- click on the screen resolution option and set it to the resolution that Windows recommends for your display.
- Use the resolution and if the blur is still noticeable, click the scale Possibility.
- If the recommended scaling settings look very small and unreadable, select the option with the higher scaling percentage from the list.
3. Enable ClearType Text
Microsoft bundles ClearType technology that reduces visible pixelation in fonts. If you encounter blurry screen elements including text, you can use ClearType Text Tuner to fix the problem.
Repeat the following steps to enable ClearType text on Windows 11:
- Press victory + S and type ClearType. click on the Customize ClearType text option in the search results.
- click on the Enable ClearType check box. Then click the Next Button.
- Select the sample text that looks best on your display and click Next Button.
- Repeat this process for all text samples.
- Finally click on the Finished Button to apply the new text appearance settings.
4. Change the application graphics settings
If you’re experiencing blurring with a specific app, you can adjust the graphics settings to solve the problem. It will add more GPU power to the app and improve its visual appearance.
To change graphics settings for an app on Windows 11:
- Press victory + me to launch the Settings app.
- Navigate to System > Display > Graphics.
- Select the app to change its graphics settings and click options Button.
- Now click on the high performance radio button.
- Finally click on the Save on computer Button to save the new graphics settings.
- Run the app and check whether the screen element appears blurry or not.
5. Switch to Best View settings
Windows offers three visual effects modes. If you use Best Effort mode, all visual effects are removed and the result looks washed out and grainy. However, switching to Best Appearance mode can provide the best possible visual experience and remove blur.
Repeat the following steps to apply the best display settings on your system:
- Press victory + R to open the Run dialog box. kind sysdm.cpl and press Enter to open the System Properties utility.
- Navigate to power section and click on the settings Button.
- Choose Adjust for best look radio button. click on the Use Button.
- Finally click on the OK button and exit the System Properties window.
6. Adjust app DPI settings
Another method to remove blurry text on Windows is to use the program’s DPI settings. If an app or program doesn’t automatically scale to the default settings, you can override high DPI scaling to improve clarity and text sharpness.
Repeat the following steps to adjust the app’s DPI settings:
- Press victory + E to launch File Explorer and navigate to the location of the program executable.
- Click on the program icon and then press Alt + Enter to open the properties window.
- Switch to compatibility tab and click on the Change the high DPI settings Button.
- Now click on the Use this setting to fix scaling issues for this program instead of the ones in settings check box.
- Next, enable the Override high DPI scaling behavior also check boxes.
- Finally click on the OK button and close the properties window.
7. Update your graphics driver
An outdated GPU driver can cause compatibility issues with programs. Updating the GPU drivers may fix the issue. To update the GPU drivers on your system:
- Press Victory + X to launch the power user menu and click device manager Possibility.
- Scroll down and expand display adapter Section.
- Right-click on the GPU and select it update drivers option from the list.
- click on the Search for drivers automatically option and wait for the utility to download and install the latest GPU drivers.
- Start anew your system and run an app to check whether the screen elements appear sharp or not.
Device Manager isn’t the best for finding new drivers. So if the above trick doesn’t work, read how to update AMD graphics cards or how to update Nvidia graphics cards depending on the model of your GPU.
8. Roll back the latest Windows update
If the blurry screen issue occurs after a recent Windows update, you can try rolling back to the previous version. New updates may contain bugs that affect the performance of your system.
To roll back a recent Windows update:
- Press victory + R to launch the Run command box.
- kind appwiz.cpl and press Enter to start the programs and functions utility.
- click on the View installed updates Possibility.
- Scroll down and find the latest update installation.
- Then click the Uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions to remove the update from your system.
9. Use system restore or reset your PC
System Restore lets you return Windows to an earlier state. If you’re having a screen blurring issue after a recent program installation or update, you can use System Restore to go back to a state where things worked better. However, your system must have existing restore points saved to use this feature.
If the System Restore program doesn’t show any available restore points, resetting Windows 11 is your last resort. Make sure you back up all your data or use the in-place upgrade to keep all your files intact.
Check out our guide on how to reset Windows to factory settings or use System Restore to learn how to do both.
A blurry Windows 11 blur issue, fixed
Screen blur can affect worker productivity. Start by adjusting the display scaling and enable the ClearText type on your system. After that, override the High DPI settings and tune the system for the best visual appearance. Lastly, update the GPU driver or perform a system restore to return the system to a normal viewing experience.
This article was previously published on Source link